This is the home of the SP Security space. It is a workspace for the service provider security community to build materials for which we will empower each other with tools, techniques, architectures, and practices that help us all maintain Internet resiliency. These materials are helpful for all large networks. Techniques like RTBH are used by banks, oil refineries, government networks, and large vendor networks (i.e. the companies that make the routers/switches).
To help you on your way, we’ve inserted some of our favorite macros on this home page. As you start creating pages,
blogging and commenting you’ll see the macros below fill up with all the activity in your space.
The wiki is a workspace for the service provider security community. Workshops/Bootcamps are being organized. The last workshops were:
Where do I start?
Don’t start with downloading all the materials. “Big Network,” “Cloud,” and Service Provider Security covers a lot of technology. It requires a comprehensive view of how networks, systems, and applications work within today’s telecommunications systems. So it is recommended that people start with some of the overview tutorials presented at NANOG. These videos would provide an overview, context, and sampling of the techniques. Once you have reviewed the materials, figure out what you which to accomplish in your organization and then pull down the more in-depth material.
- NANOG 23 – ISP Security – Real World Techniques II – by Barry Raveendran Greene, Cisco Systems; Chris Morrow, UUNET/Verizon; Brian W. Gemberling, UUNET
- NANOG 25 – BGP Security Update – by Barry Raveendran Greene, Cisco Systems
- NANOG 26 – ISP Security – Real World Techniques – by Barry Raveendran Greene, Cisco Systems; Kevin Houle, CERT
- NANOG 28 – ISP Security: Deploying and Using Sinkholes by Barry Raveendren Greene, Cisco Systems; Danny McPherson, Arbor Networks
- NANOG 36 – ISP Security 101 Primer by Barry Greene, Cisco Systems and Roland Dobbins, Cisco Systems
- NANOG 47 – NSP-SEC Top Ten Security Techniques by Barry Greene, Juniper Networks
- NANOG 54 – Service Provider “Security” Tool Kit by Barry Greene, ISC (Part 1) & (Part 2)
- ISP Essentials by Barry Raveendran Greene & Philip Smith
- Router Security Strategies: Securing IP Network Traffic Planes by Gregg Schudel & David Smith. Gregg and David took the work if Cisco’s “ISP-SWAT” team and put it into a coherent model that allows Operators (Cloud, Service Providers, and ISPs) to build a “secure our network” plan.
Please E-mail Barry Greene @ email@example.com if you would like to arrange for Service Provider Security Workshops, Bootcamps, or Seminars